- UNDP around the world
Many of UNDP's relationships with countries and territories on the ground exceed 60 years. Find details on our successes and ongoing work.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Dem. Republic of)
- Congo (Republic of)
- Costa Rica
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Iraq (Republic of)
- Lao PDR
- Papua New Guinea
- Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People
- Russian Federation
- São Tomé and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Slovak Republic
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- Trinidad and Tobago
- About Us
- Research & Publications
- News Center
Crisis Mapping Analysis and Transformation
The Crisis Recovery Mapping and Analysis (CRMA) project is a planning and information management support and capacity building initiative that aims to strengthen national and state planning, coordination and monitoring, for more effective governance across conflict prone areas of South Sudan. This project is funded by the European Union.
- The Information Management Working Group (IMWG), of the UNCT, was established within the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS). This group developed a formal information-sharing platform and provides all recovery and development actors with a common basic package of available and relevant information for their individual analysis, planning and programming efforts.
- Participatory workshops to map local development needs for conflict sensitive programming have taken place in nearly every county of nine states. Attendees were mainly from the local and state level administration, religious leadership and civil society. Through these workshops participants were given the opportunity to discuss issues that they perceive as key challenges to the sustainable recovery of their communities from crisis and to prioritize target areas for intervention. As a result of this information gathering and consultative process, over 10,000 data inputs were collected and approximately 1,500 new villages were mapped.
- Key findings of the project's mapping and analysis process with the state governments constitute the foundation for the development of an integrated recovery and development programming framework for UNDP, state government and other development partners, through the production of State Situation Analyses and related reviews of State Strategic Plans.
CRMA Delivery Progress
Output 1: Capacity development
- Support has been provided to NBS, including technical trainings, conducting capacity assessments and supporting the NBS GIS lab.
- Statistics Centre liaison function established to coordinate information management with Government ministries and strengthen the role of Statistics Centre state offices.
Output 2: Socioeconomic risk mapping and analysis
- Mapping workshops completed in all ten states
- Ten state atlases completed and updated regularly with geospatial baseline institutional data
- Data collection, verification and distribution mechanism for supporting state sectors established; ArcReader training modules developed; publication and distribution of state atlases is ongoing
- CRMA information incorporating issues of gender, environment and youth successfully utilized in Eastern Equatoria’s state sector analysis and planning for 2012 budget
Output 3: Support to Government and UNDP programmes
- 30 institutions including Government institutions, NGOs and UN agencies are now members of the IMWG
- IMWG atlas containing data from agencies and Government institutions for all ten South Sudan states produced and updated quarterly. Technical support provided to Government member institutions.
- IMWG products utilized to support UNDP programmes working on stabilization, community security and governance
- Support to 2012 state and county strategic planning process.
- Project Name
- Crisis Mapping Analysis and Transformation
- Project start date
- 1 September 2011
- Estimated end date
- 31 December 2012
- Geographic coverage
- UNDAF Outcome
- Outcome 3: Key service delivery systems are in place
- Focal Point
- Mandisa Mashologu
Poverty Reduction & MDG
- UN Agencies
National Bureau of Statistics
Ministry of Irrigation and Water Resources
Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning
State Ministries of Local Government
- Budget 2012