Support to States
Strengthening management capacities
The project's objective is to improve the institutional capacity of local government to adequately plan, set priorities, manage revenue and expenditure and deliver basic services in an equitable manner.
- Facilitated the organization and management of Eight Governors’ Forums and four Speakers’ Forums. The Governors’ Forum for South Sudan has become an influential platform for inter-governmental policy dialogue and an effective mechanism for identifying and discussing key policy issues.
- Support of a States Affairs Desk in the Office of the President Directorate of Intergovernmental Relations to coordinate and facilitate support to the 10 states.
- Substantial technical support provided to State Ministry of Finance Planning Units in areas of planning, budgeting and financial management, local revenue enhancement, and public sector reform, ICT support to 10 state governments and statistical data generation and management. International UNV Planning Specialists have been recruited in all the highlighted disciplines and posted to these units to develop capacities in the states for implementing planning and budgeting mechanisms, systems and processes.
- With UNDP support, all 10 states have prepared strategic plans as well as annual workplans and budgets for 2010. States have been supported to develop an integrated planning and budgeting framework that has enabled the integration of county, state and GoSS budgets.
- All states have established functional State Planning Development Committees and State Budget Sector Working Groups that bring together all major stakeholders including the state governments, UN agencies and NGOs. Joint planning of development activities in the states promotes synergy and increases ownership.
- 294 state government officials were trained in public financial management.
- UNDP funded the study that led to the establishment of the parliamentary service commission, which serves as a secretariat for parliamentary business. The report was presented, reviewed and adopted at the 4th Speakers’ Forum.
- A total of 606 MPs attended training, 159 (26%) of which were women. The Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs actively led these training workshops with the support of UNDP.
- Draft urban management and building guidelines for Northern Bahr el Ghazal and Western Equatoria were developed.
- A master plan for Malakal town developed through the technical support of the urban management specialist deployed in the state.
- Training of town planners and other officials was provided, covering computer skills and usage of autocad software for town planning purposes.
|Donor name||Contributing amount
|African Development Bank||1,599,950 USD|
|United Kingdom (DFID)||2,868,209 USD|
|Canada (CIDA)||3,943,952 USD|
Delivery by year
|Year||Total amount delivered|
- Project start date:
- January 2006
- Estimated end date:
- December 2012
- Geographic coverage:
- All ten states in South Sudan
- Focus Area:
- Poverty Reduction
- 1: Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- Project Officer:
- Francis Luwangwa, Project Manager, email@example.com
- Government of Southern Sudan: Ministry of Presidential Affairs (MoPA); Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning (MoFEP); Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs (MPA); Ministry of Housing; Physical Planning and Environment (MHPP&E); all state governments bodies.