- UNDP around the world
Many of UNDP's relationships with countries and territories on the ground exceed 60 years. Find details on our successes and ongoing work.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Dem. Republic of)
- Congo (Republic of)
- Costa Rica
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Iraq (Republic of)
- Lao PDR
- Papua New Guinea
- Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People
- Russian Federation
- São Tomé and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Slovak Republic
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- Trinidad and Tobago
- About Us
- Research & Publications
- News Center
Local Government Recovery Programme
Restoring local government systems
The Local Government Recovery Programme (LGRP) was conceived by the Local Government Board of the Government of South Sudan (GoSS) to restore local government systems.
Training of local government officers
- LGRP assisted the Local Government Board to screen more than 3,000 local government officers employed by the ten state Ministries of Local Government through written exams and to reduce the number to 1,583 (2007 – 2008).
- LGRP trained 274 local government officers selected from the ten states in a three-week Training of Trainers (ToT) course in five batches (2008 – 2009). A refresher course was given to 121 of them who attended the first three courses (2009). About 200 of the 274 trained officers are deemed to be qualified and currently available.
- 6th Training of Trainers course will be held in 2011 so that each county and each state Ministry of Local Government HQ will have three trained and qualified local government officers.
- Based on the experience gained through the courses, the Local Government Board developed a longer-term training programme, which is being implemented with the support of partner organizations including GIZ and USAID.
- LGRP provides on-the-job coaching to the trained and other local government officers deployed to the counties and the state Ministry of Local Government HQs.
County planning and budgeting
- LGRP has been providing technical and financial support to all of the 79 counties throughout South Sudan to prepare medium-term and annual county plans & budgets since 2007.
- Capitalizing on achievements and lessons learned from the past years and in coordination with the Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning, LGRP prepared a revised guide for (i) strategic planning and (ii) annual planning & budgeting (2010).
- In 2011, LGRP, along with Crisis and Recovery Mapping & Analysis, supported the counties for participatory strategic planning using an improved methodology for data gathering, situation analyses and issues prioritization.
- LGRP advises the Local Government Board, state Ministries of Local Government and counties on the transfer and use of GoSS county development grants that have been made available since 2009.
- LGRP, along with state staff of other UNDP projects, provided support to the Local Government Board and state Ministries of Local Government to organize the first Commissioners’ Forum in each state (2010). The Forums created a platform of county and state stakeholders to gather together to compare notes and openly discuss county-level issues in the areas of administration, finance, service delivery, security among others. The Forums generated a great deal of enthusiasm and specific resolutions and recommendations for improving policy and operational environment for the counties.
Capacity development for legislative councils
- LGPR has been assisting the establishment of county legislative councils with appointed members as an interim measure. All of the counties in the three Equatoria States and Jonglei have constituted the legislative councils. LGRP has prepared an induction guide to orient the councilors in principles of local governance and specific roles of councilors.
Staff recruitment and training
- LGRP has recruited and trained eleven state staff (Organizational Development Facilitators) to provide hands-on support to the state Ministries of Local Government and counties. After a few years, they are expected to join the civil service and lead capacity development from within the government as per the Local Government Board’s strategy.
|European Union||775,000 USD|
|The Netherlands||1, 045,000 USD|
|SIDA||625, 000 USD|
Delivery by year
|Year||Total amount delivered|
- Project start date:
- January 2009
- Estimated end date:
- December 2012
- Geographic coverage:
- All counties in the ten states of South Sudan
- Focus area:
- Inclusive Growth & Economic Development
- 1: Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- Project Officer
- Naoko Anzai, Project Manager email@example.com
- Local Government Board; State Ministries of Local Government and Law Enforcement